Taxi/Ride-Sharing App Use Case
For this example case, let’s consider a Taxi/Ride-Sharing app (such as Hailo, Uber, Lyft, etc.) wants to decide what user data to collect. The questions and brainstorming process below are a great model for marketing and development teams to follow. By the end of this exercise, both teams should have a solid understanding of what custom events and attributes make sense to collect in order to help meet their goal.
Case Question #1: What is the goal?
Their goal is straightforward in that they want users to hail taxi rides via their app.
Case Question #2: What are the intermediate steps on the way to that goal from app installation?
- They need users to begin the registration process and fill out their personal information.
- They need users to complete & verify the registration process by inputting a code into the app they receive via SMS.
- They need to attempt to hail a taxi.
- In order to hail a taxi, they must be available when they search.
The above actions could then be tagged as the following Custom Events:
- Began Registration
- Completed Registration
- Successful Taxi Hails
- Unsuccessful Taxi Hails
After implementing the events, you can now run the following campaigns:
- Message users who Began Registration, but didn’t Completed Registration within a certain time frame.
- Send congratulation messages to users who complete registration.
- Send apologies and promotional credit to users who had unsuccessful taxi hails, that weren’t followed by a successful taxi hail within a certain amount of time.
- Send promotions to power users with lots of Successful Taxi Hails to thank them for their loyalty.
- Many, Many More.
Case Question #3: What other information might we want to know about our users that will inform our messaging?
- Whether or not they have any promotional credit?
- The average rating they give to their drivers?
- Unique Promo Codes for the user?
The above characteristics could then be tagged as the following Custom Attributes:
- Promotional Credit Balance (Decimal Type)
- Average Driver Rating (Integer Type)
- Unique Promo Code (String Type)
Adding these attributes would afford you the ability to send campaigns to users like:
- Reminding users who haven’t used the app in 7 days who have promotional credit remaining on their account that it is there and that they should come back to the app and use it!
- Use our message templating and personalization features to drag the unique promo code attribute into messaging directed at users.